Where a party to a dispute is unhappy with the judgment or award given by the Tribunal, he/she has a right of appeal to the High Court of Kenya, but this is purely on a matter of law only.


The Tribunal is committed to ensuring that you are served with expedition and in a just and fair manner and without fear or favour.

Making complaints

Any complaints on our services, suggestions or compliments should be addressed to the Secretary through physical address, in person, post, or telephone, or to  Permanent Secretary, Minister or Ombudsman.